Interested in getting involved as a coach or a referee? We’d love to have you join the team!
Houghton FC is a 100% volunteer run organization and relies on parents’ support to build the organized soccer program for children. We need coaches and volunteers for the Summer Recreational League! No previous coaching experience is required – the ideal coach and volunteer should enjoy helping young players develop talent and grow love for the game.
The coach’s clinic will be led by our select league coaches and will introduce attendee to:
- Developmentally appropriate training guidelines targeted at specific age groups
- Guaranteed and viable player development curriculum using US Soccer Federation (USSF) and Michigan State Youth Soccer Association (MSYSA) resources.
- Practice session templates
- Explanation of the rules of the game
- Introduce how to complete required risk management training: background check, HeadsUp, SafeSport.
- Coaching and parent behavior expectations along with club disciplinary procedures
- TeamSnap introduction and user tips
- Houghton FC’s mission statement and the pathways available for recreational and select soccer players
- Share information on further coaching professional development opportunities
- Network with fellow coaches
Houghton FC is always looking for new referees. This is a great way to make some extra money while being a part of the game you love. We will be offering a referee clinic led by our own USSF certified referees so you can join the team! Once you complete the clinic you will be able to officiate the in-house games and tournaments. This is your gateway for becoming a licensed referee!
New this year, we are introducing a referee mentorship program for any adult or youth aged 11 and up. These newer referees will be assigned to a U8 game while a more experienced ref is observing the game to answer any questions and give feedback to the newer referee.
Recreational Referee Pay Rates:
- U8 (Mentorship Games) – $20/game
- U10 – $30/game
- U12 – $35/game
- U15 – $45/game
Requirements for becoming a referee:
- Provide your own uniform & equipment
- Have a basic knowledge of the rules of soccer.
- You must be at least 13 years old to ref the U10 and older games.